Saturday, February 15, 2014

Text Block Tips


The Text Block: Birthday die releases tonight (10pm Eastern) on Papertrey Ink's website and I thought y'all might find it helpful if I shared a few tips I learned while working with the die this week:


  • Apply your adhesive (and burnish it to make sure it's nice and secure) before you die cut. You see those tiny, narrow letters? Yes, you could use a glue pen...and then you could curse my name for years to come.
  • I use a Cuttlebug and I had the best results when I die cut up instead of down. My sandwich was: A Plate, Metal Shim, C Plate, Die facing up, Paper, B Plate. Everyone's machine is different, but that's what worked best for me.
  • If you're planning to use the die in some sort of window application make sure to invest in some clear cardstock. You'll still get the see-through effect and you'll stabilize the letters in the process (I'm looking at you "very").
  • The same goes if you want to pop your shape up on foam tape. Just make sure there's something behind your words to act as a stabilizer. Vellum would be another great option.
  • Be gentle when removing your shape from your die. You don't have to use kid gloves, but there are a few spots (the "a very" line primarily) where the connections to the frame are narrow and it would be a shame to tear them. I never did so it's not like you have to be crazy vigilant, but I thought it was worth mentioning.
  • Try different materials! I showed cork, but fun foam, super thin wood veneer (1/64"), stabilized fabric...use your imagination!


Most importantly, HAVE FUN! Enjoy your weekends, friends! See you soon!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the tips and the CB 'sandwich' too.

June K said...

Thanks for the tips, Lizzie. I'm printing your tips and storing with my die.

Rhonda said...

I'm going to be forced (wink) to buy a wider Xyron machine!!! What size do you have Lizzie?

Kathy Mc said...

Awesome, Lizzie, thanks for the tips! I'm sure they will come in handy once this die is in my possession.

Cindy O said...

Great tips Lizzie! and a great design! I can't wait to see more of this idea in the months ahead!

Lizzie Jones said...

I believe my machine is 5" wide, but strips of double sided tape or adhesive sheets would work too. I hope that helps!

see mary stamp said...

Just catching up on all of the PTI wrap-up posts. Thanks for these great tips. I am really looking forward to this series of plates this year.

Maureen (Moe) Buck said...

I love this die, I bought it with its release. I'm looking at current release items, and decided to read back.
I'm chuckling out loud at your comment that we'll curse your name with using a glue pen instead of Xyron
Since I'm just now reading this, after making 3 cards with the die... I'm definitely going to have to try the Xyron trick... The glue pen is tedious (to put it politely)... But he cards are fabulous!!