Friday, February 14, 2014

Text Block: Birthday Die - Day 6 (Yay! Bonus!)

Hello! Welcome back to Day 6 of the Papertrey Ink 7th Anniversary Release countdown. We started a day early, so this is actually a bonus! Who doesn't love a bonus? I have one more project to share featuring the Text Block: Birthday Die. Shall we?

I wanted to create a card that might appeal to younger folk (and I mean much younger, like children younger), but with a few variations in color this card could really work for just about anybody.


I began by Xyroning and die cutting a Text Block from both Hawaiian Shores and Tropical Teal cardstock. I then stamped the Tropical Teal shape with the stars pattern from Bitty Background Blocks II using Pinefeather ink. I layered the two shapes using the Drop Shadow Die Cuts technique that Betsy Veldman did for a recent Make It Monday video. I also used the same technique for the star embellishment. I didn't have a darker red cardstock that complemented Pure Poppy, so I just colored a scrap of Pure Poppy with a W4 Copic to create a darker shade of cardstock. I set both layered pieces aside while I worked on my card base.


I had a lot of fun with my February Color Play card, so I decided to employ the same technique for today's card. I traced a very light pencil line around the shape of the die to make sure my dots would be visible both inside and outside the frame and then went to town stamping dots (and a few tiny stars) from several sets in a rainbow of colors (Pure Poppy, Summer Sunrise, Harvest Gold, Simply Chartreuse, and Hawaiian Shores). When my dots were finished and the pencil line was erased, I adhered my Text Block shape directly to my card base and then added the star with foam tape. A handful of the dots were embellished with Glossy Accents for added texture and shine.

Well, that's all I have for you this countdown. Thank you so much for joining me all week and I can't wait to see how you all use the Text Block: Birthday Die for yourselves. Make sure to check in with NicholeAshleyBetsyCristinaDanielleDawnErinHeatherLauraMelissa Phillips, and Melissa Bickford for even more inspiration using this month's new releases. See you soon!

Recipe:
Stamps: Bitty Background Blocks II, Birthday Style, It's A Celebration (this set is heading to The Vault after today), Foodie Fun, Holiday Cheer - Papertrey Ink
Cardstock: Pure Poppy, Hawaiian Shores, Tropical Teal - Papertrey Ink
Ink: Pinefeather, Scarlet Jewel, Pure Poppy, Summer Sunrise, Harvest Gold, Simply Chartreuse, Hawaiian Shores - Papertrey Ink
Other: Text Block: Birthday Die (available February 15th), Tremendous Treats Halloween Die Collection - Papertrey Ink; W2 Marker - Copic; Xyron Machine; Glossy Accents - Ranger; Foam Tape - Scotch

11 comments:

TLady said...

HOW TOTALLY FUN with all those little circles with this DIE!!!!!!!!! Just WONDERFUL!!!!!!:)

Cindy H. said...

Lizzie, fabulous card! It looks like a confetti explosion - lots of fun and perfect for someone of any age!

Anonymous said...

you have gone to town with this die with so many different options. I can't wait to get it. I love the drop shadow and also the watercolor look from a couple days OK. Great job!

Elizabeth S. said...

Fantastic card! Love it!

Patt H. said...

I love this one! It is on my list, (which keeps getting longer & longer!). So many cards to make with this one & I love all the little circles on today's card!!

Tracey McNeely said...

Lizzie this is now hands down absolutely my favuorite card of yours of all time. Brilliant and fabulous. Question for you, do you xyron the cardstock and then die cut it?

Lizzie Jones said...

Yes, I do the Xyroning first. That way the adhesive gets cut right along with the cardstock and the edges remain clean. You also don't have to fuss with a glue pen or other messy adhesive. Thanks for asking and for your kind words!

Kathy Mc said...

Lizzie, this is fabulous. I am in love with your text block. You've done a super job of showcasing your creation. The colorful stars & dots in this background really work for any age and love that. Awesome!

Diana said...

Love this card. It is so fun. The dot background is fantastic. Thanks for sharing.

Lindsey said...

I just love this one! It's so fun! Thanks for the xyron tip, too.

Unknown said...

Too cool:-)