Tuesday, October 2, 2018

Transformation Tuesday

Good morning, friends! I'm back today with a Papertrey Ink Transformation Tuesday post to share with you. I have a confession to make. I haven't liked my original card from the moment I created it for the last countdown. It's true; sometimes we all make cards that we simply don't love once they're finished.

LizzieJones_PapertreyInk_September2018_GloriousGlobes_ShapeShifters_SayItSimply_HollyJollyChristmasCard

I liked all the individual parts of this card (the layout, the colors, the products), but once they were all put together I wasn't pleased. So I decided to give this one a makeover! Let's take a look at how I "fixed" my original design.

LizzieJones_TransformationTuesday_PapertreyInk_HollyJollyCards

I think my displeasure stemmed from the fact that my original card ended up being too dark and simply not festive enough. It also didn't have any pizzaz and I felt like the plaid window was competing too much with the die cut sentiment (probably because they were so similar in tone).

LizzieJones_TransformationTuesday_PapertreyInk_HollyJollyChristmasCard

So on my second version I decided to opt for brighter colors, a healthy dose of glitter (naturally), and a little vellum to soften the pattern a bit (and hide the message that will eventually be written inside). I also wanted to simplify the design slightly and remove the extra, unnecessary layer, so I decided to  stamp the wreath pattern directly on the base this time.

LizzieJones_TransformationTuesday_PapertreyInk_HollyJollyChristmasCard3

I also chose to swap the ink blending on the sentiment for ink blending on the frame. The solid color on the original card was just a little bit bolder than I wanted it to be. Also, the blending on the sentiment didn't help the "it's too dark" issue as it only served to make it darker and heavier and...ugh.

LizzieJones_TransformationTuesday_PapertreyInk_HollyJollyChristmasCard2

Enter glitter. Have I mentioned that I love glitter on holiday cards. It's true. I usually sneak some in here or there, but on this one I went the "all glitter, all the time" route and I'm not sorry. I just xyroned the Pure Poppy cardstock before die cutting and then coated the entire greeting once I had stacked the die cuts.

There you have it. So much better! I'm very happy with the second version and I think it feels much more "me." Thank you for joining me for this week's Transformation Tuesday! I hope you'll head over to the Team Blog to link up your own transformed project. There's a $25 gift card on the line after all. Have a great week and I'll see you soon for Festive Friday!

Supplies:
Holly Jolly Christmas Card

2 comments:

Nancy Penir said...

Hi Lizzie! Honestly like them both. The first has a rustic feel, with the colors, and the 2nd lighter and more festive! Love how you stamped the wreath all over, accenting a few with darker hues.

Greta said...

Such a wonderful makeover, Lizzie! I completely agree with you! The new card is bright & festive & I just love how the sparkly sentiment shows up! You've inspired me!