Saturday, July 23, 2016

Stamp-A-Faire 2016: Masterpiece Inspirations



Good afternoon, Papertrey Ink friends! Are you enjoying this year's Stamp-A-Faire festivities? I sure hope so! I love the challenge we're sharing this hour and I hope you enjoy it, too. Nichole challenged the Design Team to find a work of art that we found inspiring and then create a card based on that inspiration piece. Doesn't that sound like fun?! So here's how that all came together for me:


Impressionism has long been a favorite of mine and I knew I wanted to draw upon one of the French masters for this challenge. I found this piece, AnĂ©mones Roses, and simply fell head over heels.

Source

When I look at this painting by Berthe Morisot, I see romanticism, gorgeous, layered brush strokes, and a cool, serene palette that just draws you in. I love how she softens the edges of her subject and uses pops of bright pink to direct your eye. I hope I've done the original piece justice with my interpretation.

Love For A Lifetime Card

I began by creating the background. First, I sponged a bit of Aqua Mist onto a watercolor paper panel. Then...remember the technique I mentioned in yesterday's post featuring Art With Heart? I used that same technique here, but this time I layered a couple of colors. I started with a Ripe Avocado layer (it dried a bit lighter which worked out perfectly) and added a barely-there layer of Enchanted Evening, too. I wanted to recreate that same soft brushwork from the original piece and I feel pretty happy with how it turned out.

Love For A Lifetime Close Up

Once my background had dried, I trimmed it down a smidgen and stamped the stems from Friendship Jar Flowers and a sentiment from Graceful Greetings II. I stamped the flowers from Cutting Garden using Lemon Tart, Pale Peony, Berry Sorbet, and just a touch of Pure Poppy. I mounted the painted panel to a white card base using foam tape and then added the flowers with a mix of flat and foam adhesives. I finished off the card with a sprinkling of Sunshine & Rainbows sequins (I seriously can't get enough of those things).

Make sure to pop over to Nichole's blog to see all of the challenge details and inspiration and then head over to see Amy, Ashley, Betsy, Danielle, Dawn, Heather, Kay, Laurie, Lexi, and Melissa to see their beautiful projects. Enjoy the rest of Stamp-A-Faire and I'll see you around the Forum!

Recipe:
Stamps: Friendship Jar Flowers, Graceful Greetings II, Cutting Garden - Papertrey Ink
Cardstock: Watercolor Paper - Ranger; white
Ink: Ripe Avocado, Enchanted Evening, Lemon Tart, Pale Peony, Berry Sorbet, Pure Poppy - Papertrey Ink
Other: Cutting Garden Die, Sunshine & Rainbows Sequins - Papertrey Ink; Matte White Acrylic Paint - Martha Stewart Crafts; Foam Tape - Scotch; Paintbrushes

7 comments:

SavedbyGrace said...

Hi Lizzie, your interpretation is lovely :)

Anne said...

What a beautiful card! Love the background that you created.

Diana K said...

Lizzie, your project sings to my soul. It's my favourite of the whole bunch!

Lisaerica said...

Just gorgeous Lizzie! I love how it looks like linen paper, and the color combo is so feminine and beautiful. Thanks for sharing and inspiring.

Julie C. said...

Catching up from this weekend and had to come say how much I loved this card! It beautifully pairs your inspiration piece with execution, and I think is my favorite SAF card from the whole weekend. Thanks Lizzie!

Ohhh Snap said...

This is so inspiring! And between you and Melissa I was compelled to put the friendship jar flowers in my cart (breaking my get the additions in order rule lo). I love the flower color combination so much I used it color for color.

Greta said...

Absolutely stunning card! I also want to let you know that I had the most fun making my Drips & Splatters card, so thank you for the great video & challenge, Lizzie! I have a big laundry tub, so was lazy & worked in it eliminating the need to cover up an area--haha! I will be using this technique again!