Sunday, February 1, 2009

Home Sweet Home



I love these Maya Road chipboard trees. I bought them months ago and have been hoarding them like my life depends on it. I'm seizing the day and using one of my beloved trees for today's card.

I randomly stamped three of the individual leaves from Papertrey's Beautiful Blooms set in Versamark ink on Fennel Martha Stewart Crafts cardstock. The Versamark gives such a lovely, subtle effect that I absolutely adore (the ink pad is getting a little dry though, so I need to get a bottle of reinker). Then, I used Landscape Palette ink to ink the edges of the tree shape to "color" the chipboard. I covered the trunk in brown cardstock and inked those edges with Burnt Umber ink.

I wanted to add something to the tree, but I wasn't sure what. Then I saw it...my little birdhouse image from the Kim Hughes Pretty Birds set. Perfect! I stamped and colored the birdhouse and attached it to the tree branch with a smidge of brown & cream baker's twine.

To make the grass I took a strip of the Fennel cardstock and fringed it. I mussed the fringe so it looks a little more realistic(ish). I also added a little ink to the fringe for a little dimension.

I attached the tree and grass to a Kraft base with inked edges and a sentiment from Papertrey's Boards & Beams. I wanted to soften the grass edge so I added a band of Pure Poppy Twill. I added a brown button tied with the baker's twine to hide the ribbon seam and add a fun detail.

I hope you enjoyed today's card!

Recipe:
Cardstock: Kraft - Papertrey Ink; Fennel - Martha Stewart Crafts; Brown - Bazzill; Ultimate White - Strathmore
Ink: Landscape, Burnt Umber - Palette; Pure Poppy - Papertrey Ink; Versamark - Tsukineko
Stamps: Boards & Beams, Beautiful Blooms - Papertrey Ink; Pretty Birds (Kim Hughes Collection) - Cornish Heritage Farms
Fibers: Pure Poppy Twill - Papertrey Ink; brown & cream baker's twine - unknown
Embellishments: Chipboard Trees - Maya Road; brown button - unknown
Other: Colored Pencils - Prismacolor; foam tape - Scotch

4 comments:

xiumaiyuki said...

Your card is fabulous! I really like the grass you made, added the perfect finishing touch! Great job!

Kelly Bee said...

Love it! The bird house makes this card!

Jennifer Kirk said...

Oh, that's so cute! I just love that chipboard tree!

Barbara DeBose said...

Ok you are too funny! I've found a fellow hoarder. ;) I'm adding you to my favorites. Very cute card!