Friday, February 1, 2013

Medallion Flowers

Greetings, Friends! It has been an ape-crazy couple of weeks. I've been working on all sorts of fun stuff that you'll see very soon as well as several client projects and save-the-dates for my sister's wedding. It's been bananas, people, and I'm sorry I haven't checked in for awhile.

One of the really fun things that kept me busy recently was a craft I did with a gaggle of giggly birthday party girls. My friend Amy's daughter celebrated her 8th birthday last weekend with nine of her closest pals and Amy asked if I'd be willing to do a craft with them (Amy is a super-talented sewing maven, but apparently doing a craft with your mom isn't as cool as doing a craft with someone else - go figure). I was thrilled to be a part of the festivities, so I packed up a crate of supplies and headed to the party ready to make medallion flowers with all of the girls.

My apologies for the iffy photo. We're in "where's-the-camera" mode again and it's all phone photos all the time up in here.

These are generally pretty easy, but they will require a little adult help for little hands. I used Nichole Heady's "Lazy Stamper Accordion Medallion" technique to make the flowers. To keep them stable we attached circles of cardstock to the back of each medallion and then mounted buttons to their centers using a couple layers of foam tape. I'm usually not a fan of "naked" buttons, but I thought trying to wield a needle and thread might be too much for the girls. If I made them again I would probably sew them on with embroidery floss or twine. We stuck lollipop sticks armed with ScorTape between the folds for our stems and embellished with a hand-cut paper leaf.

I've been imagining party decor made from these things (garlands, am I right?!). Or place cards at Easter; stuck in tiny terra cotta pots with names written on the flowers' leaves. So cute!

Well, thanks for joining me today. I'll be back before you know it. Have a great weekend, everyone!

Recipe:
Cardstock: Simply Chartreuse, Spring Rain (not visible), Summer Sunrise (not visible) - Papertrey Ink
Patterned Paper: Summer Sunrise Gingham - Papertrey Ink; old, old, old floral print and plaid - Chatterbox
Dies: 1 3/4" Limitless Layers Die Collection - Papertrey Ink; Nested Flowers Dies, Nested Circles Dies - Quickutz
Other: Pure Poppy button, Spring Rain button, Orange Zest button - Papertrey Ink; ScorTape - ScorPal; Foam Tape - Scotch; lollipop sticks

2 comments:

Elizabeth S. said...

Such a cute idea! What a fun project to do with a group of young girls.

Randi said...

You could start doing themed birthday parties on the side:-)