Wednesday, January 16, 2013

For The Love Of Hand Lettering

Hello again. I'm still here in the jury pool and not much has happened since Monday, so I've had the opportunity to sit around and stare at a computer or book or the ceiling. Today, the boredom just about overtook me until I decided to put together a little post about hand lettering. I love hand lettering. I'm generally not great at it (though I'm working on it daily as part of my drawing every day goal), so I'm always super impressed by the folks that do it well. I thought I'd share a few of those folks with you today.

Another goal I have for this year is buying more visual artwork for our home. We live in an amazing city full of wonderful places and festivals to find artwork, so I have no excuse not to fill our home with beauty. In addition to that, the internet exists. And that's where I found this gem.

Quiet Print - Tanamachi Studio

I love this print. It's huge and gorgeous and it lives on top of my desk. Dana Tanamachi is a Brooklyn-based graphic designer who does stunning things with chalk. I'm not even kidding...she's stupid amazing. Visit her website for more information about her and to see even more examples of her work.

I was browsing through Pinterest the other day and I came upon this little ditty by Lindsay Letters.

You're A Peach Card by Lindsay Letters

How cute as a gosh darn button is that?! This sweet correspondence card was hand lettered by illustrator Lindsay Sherbondy and then printed on an antique press using colored foils. Totally sweet and a completely different look from the first beautiful example. Check out Lindsay's website and blog to learn more about her and the folks that help her along the way.

This next example is a great reminder that hand lettering comes in many different styles. Lisa Congdon incorporates block printing, script, and imagery to create her artwork.

Frida Kahlo Quote illustrated by Lisa Congdon

Last year Lisa challenged herself to hand letter every single day. Some days were simpler and others more complex, but the collection taken together is inspiring. Her project is being released in book form by Chronicle in 2014. Her blog is full of gorgeous work, from her 365 project to paintings and other design collaborations. Take a moment to peek. You'll be glad you did.

Motivated to try hand lettering for yourself?

Sean McCabe's Hand Lettering Tutorial

Sean McCabe has a very helpful tutorial on his website that will get you on your way to creating your own illustrated text. His website is also a treasure trove of illustrated eye candy. A visit is well worth your time.

Well, thank you for joining me today. I plan to have a new project for you soon, and I hope this post has been interesting. Have a great day and I'll see you again shortly.

1 comment:

Anna said...

That Frida Kahlo quote...holy smokes! Loved this compilation of your interests!