Monday, March 2, 2009

Poppy Birthday!

This morning I received Papertrey's stamp set Remember in the mail and I need a birthday card for a very special lady next week (ard-cay or-fay Andi-Ray...figure out that code), so I took the opportunity to whip up this little beauty today. I also wanted to participate in sketch #4 over at Card Patterns this week and I thought this set would be perfect.



I knew I wanted my oval image to slightly overlap the side of my base, so I cut my Kraft a little narrower than I would for a regular A2 card. I stamped the scalloped border image from Beyond Basic Borders in Ripe Avocado ink and followed with Polka Dots in Versamark.

Then I took an oval of Spring Moss cardstock and stamped my stem and leaf in Ripe Avocado (the inner leaf is Spring Moss). I wanted to fill the "negative" space so I stamped one of the swirls from Remember in Versamark over the entire oval. The poppy itself was stamped with Pure Poppy and Burnt Umber inks onto white cardstock and trimmed using precision scissors. I mounted the poppy using foam tape.



You know how poppies have a fuzzy center? Well I wanted a fuzzy center. I took my bottle of Glue Pad refill and dabbed it onto the center of my flower. I used white Fun Flock (I don't have dark brown) and colored it once it had dried. Voila! Instant (mostly) fuzzy center.

Before I attached my flower to the base I sponged it with brown ink and wrapped the cardstock with Pure Poppy stitched ribbon and some 1/4" double faced satin. I stamped my sentiment with Pure Poppy ink and mounted my poppy with foam adhesive to finish the card.

I hope you like. Have a great tomorrow!

Recipe:
Cardstock: Kraft, Spring Moss - Papertrey Ink; Ultimate White - Strathmore
Stamps: Remember, Beyond Basic Borders, Polka Dot Basics, Out On A Limb (original size) - Papertrey Ink
Ink: Pure Poppy, Spring Moss, Ripe Avocado - Papertrey Ink; Burnt Umber - Palette; Versamark, Glue Pad (refill) - Tsunikeko
Ribbon: Pure Poppy Saddle Stitched - Papertrey Ink; Brown Double-faced Satin - American Crafts
Tools: Medium Corner Rounder (green) - EK Success
Other: White Fun Flock - Stampendous; Foam Tape - Scotch

8 comments:

whoistracy said...

Lizzie, this is so elegant. Love your take on the sketch!

Fiona Yeoh said...

great take, lizzie! love the fun flock bit & yup i figured out the pig latin code hehe. thanks 4 playing along :)

Erin Smetak said...

Very simple and pretty! Great job!!! Doesn't flocking rock?! :D

Geny said...

That is just beautiful Lizzie!!!

**Nancy** said...

Gorgeous card!!! Simply elegant!!!

Sonya said...

Love your card Lizzie, you have made a beautiful job!

Randi said...

As the recipent of this card...it is awesome!

Randi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.