Wednesday, April 1, 2015

April Color Play

Good morning, Friends, and welcome to this month's Papertrey Ink Color Play feature! This month we're playing with a color palette of Berry Sorbet, Melon Berry, Ocean Tides, and Enchanted Evening inspired by this photo from Style Me Pretty:


Isn't that gorgeous?! I’ve been having a serious moment with coral. It’s so pretty and it looks lovely with so many other fabulous colors. Perhaps because of my recent coral-crush, when I saw this photo I knew I wanted to use it as the inspiration for this month’s color scheme.

I decided to use these beautiful colors to make a Mother's Day card for today. Obviously I was inspired by more than just the photo's colors. I brainstormed for days, but in the end I couldn't get the idea of a cluster of flowers out of my head. I went with it and I'm glad I did!


I began by doing some test stamping with the Sweet Life stamp set on a sheet of scrap paper. I wasn't sure how best to achieve the depth of color I wanted, so playing around with it really helped. I found that generational stamping was a wonderful way of getting the different colors I needed without introducing additional ink colors.

My final roses are stamped like this:

  • Base: Melon Berry stamped off once
  • 1st Layer: Berry Sorbet at full strength
  • 2nd Layer: Melon Berry at full strength

The stamped off Melon Berry is much pinker than the full strength version, so it was the perfect base for Berry Sorbet. Then, the darker, more orange full strength Melon Berry finishes the blooms with a bit of a shadow effect.

My leaves are stamped like this:

  • Base: Ocean Tides stamped off once
  • 1st Layer: Ocean Tides at full strength

The leaves look almost sage when Ocean Tides is stamped off and the full strength leaf detail has an almost vintage appearance.


I die cut my flowers and leaves and stamped them with the combinations that I've detailed above. Then, I stamped the frame from Boutique Borders: Thanks on a white panel. I knew I needed extra space between the borders, so I masked off one of the sides of the stamp and stamped the other image twice, leaving plenty of space between. I added the sentiment and adhered the panel to an Enchanted Evening card base.

I mounted the flowers and leaves with flat and foam adhesives and curled the leaves upward. The card still needed something, so I went in with a fine point glue pen and added glitter to places where dew might rest. It's not much, but that tiny detail adds a nice bit of sparkle and interest. I love it when a card turns out exactly how it appeared in my imagination! Don't you?

Well, that's all for me today. Thank you so much for joining me for this month's Papertrey Ink Color Play! I'll see you again soon!

Recipe:
Stamps: The Sweet Life, Keep It Simple: Mother, Boutique Borders: Thanks - Papertrey Ink
Cardstock: Enchanted Evening - Papertrey Ink; white
Ink: Berry Sorbet, Melon Berry, Ocean Tides, Enchanted Evening - Papertrey Ink
Other: Sweet Life Die Collection - Papertrey Ink; Foam Tape - Scotch; Fine Crystal Glitter - Martha Stewart Crafts; Glue Pen; Scor-Tape

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

These were my Mum's favorite colors!
And you made a Mother's day card to boot.
Time for thinking Spring, too.
Little Mabel

Shelly said...

Beautiful card! I love your color choices! This makes me want Sweet Life even more! Thanks for sharing!

Cindy H. said...

Lovely card! Those colors are so pretty!

Kathy Mc said...

I, too, am really liking the coral shades with navy. Your card is just stunning, Lizzie! What s beautiful way to make a mother happy.

Unknown said...

Coral can just about go with any color! Colors and card are awesome as usual!