Monday, September 5, 2016

Moments Inked: Incorporating Offbeat Holidays


Good morning, planner people! Happy Labor Day! It's my turn to show you how I've been using my Papertrey Ink Moments Inked planner lately so I thought I'd share a fun feature I've been adding to my planner pages for the past few months.

Offbeat Holidays Overview

As some of you may already know, I'm the editor of Papertrey Ink's monthly newsletter. This year we introduced a silly section of the newsletter called Offbeat Holidays. In this section, I highlight a handful of goofy, weird, or otherwise quirky holidays in the coming month.

Page 1 - 9.4-9.10 Weekly Spread

I love these holidays because they're often unexpected and grin-worthy occasions and they remind me that there's something to celebrate nearly every day. So a few months ago I decided to start adding these dates (the ones in the newsletter as well as a whole bunch of extra ones that I find particularly entertaining) to the pages of my planner.

September Dashboard & Holidays List

I sat down and created sticky note lists for each of the remaining months in the calendar using the Moments Inked: Posted II and a heading from Moments Inked: Remembered. I filled out those notes with holidays I found on online lists (I like this one, this one, and this one) and then stuck the notes to the tabbed monthly dividers appropriate for each note. I then transfer the notes to their month's dashboard as I get them made.

Offbeat Holiday Stickers

I also wanted to add celebratory stickers to the individual days to remind myself of each of the holidays. I didn't want things to get too complicated, so I used the Moments Inked: Boxed die to cut rectangles of self-adhesive paper and used small, relevant images to decorate each one.

Page 2 - 9.4-9.10 Weekly Spread

I found images in a variety of sets, but the Moments Inked: Everyday Symbols, Active Symbols, and Tiny Treats: Birthday were particularly helpful (at least this month). Then, I just wrote in the name of each holiday using a black pen before I stuck them down in the "notes" section of the appropriate day.

Placing Holiday Sticker

My days can get kind of full, so putting the stickers in that bottom area ensures that they're not going to interfere with the more important details of my week.

9.4-9.10 Weekly Spread

Here's what this week looks like. It makes me smile to see those oddball holidays tucked in next to my regular comings and goings.

Well, that's all for me this time, friends. Have a safe and happy holiday and I'll see you again soon!

Recipes:
Holiday Stickers
Stamps: Moments Inked: Everyday Symbols, Moments Inked: Active Symbols, Tiny Treats: Birthday, City Scene, Pajama Time, Sew Simple Borders, Zappy Birthday, Super Hero, Cup Of Cheer, Grand Ampersand, Life's Music, Wet Paint Alphabet - Papertrey Ink
Dies: Moments Inked: Boxed Die - Papertrey Ink

Holidays Sticky Note
Stamps: Moments Inked: Posted II, Moments Inked: Remembered - Papertrey Ink
Other: 3" x 6" White Post-It Note Pads - Papertrey Ink

September Dashboard
Cardstock: Hawaiian Shores, Simply Chartreuse, Hibiscus Burst Patterned Paper - Papertrey Ink
Dies: Monthly Moments: Year Round 2 Die, Moments Inked: Binder Page Die - Papertrey Ink

5 comments:

June K said...

TFS. Looks like a lot of fun to keep track in your planner. Just wanted to mention how much fun I've been having with your Offbeat Holidays section of the Newsletter. I sent "Just Because" cards last month and my friends got such a kick out of it.

Cammie said...

Great way to keep track of these holidays. I've enjoyed this section of the PTI newsletter. Just yesterday as I was playing with my planner, I used some stamps to mark Read a Book Day and Cheeseburger Day. I need to make a list to keep in my planner; I'm off to get my stamps and inks. Thanks, Lizzie.

Message Keeper said...

I love these Offbeat Holidays and I am glad that someone like yourself is helping us to remind ourselves!

Deane said...

So much fun!! Good reason to celebrate every day!

Kari D said...

Celebrate every day.... Love that you remind us! Thanks for this great idea.