Monday, January 13, 2014

Words Of Comfort - Day 4

Good morning, friends, and welcome back for Day 4 of the Papertrey Ink January new release countdown. I have two more cards to share with you featuring Words Of Comfort, so let's get to them. Ok!

My first project is a card to let someone know that you're there for them if they need you.


I began by stamping my patterned paper using strips from Faux Ribbon and Background Basics: Retro. The pattern was stamped onto Aqua Mist cardstock with Fresh Snow, Winter Wisteria, and Simply Chartreuse inks. I adhered that piece to a white card base and set it aside while I created my focal point. I wanted to make it look like I had one friend reaching for another's hand, but both hands in Love Lives Here are facing the same direction. I used a mirroring technique to flip one of the hands the opposite direction. To do this, I inked up the hand and stamped it onto the back of one of the 2012 Birthday Tags stamps (any large, flat stamp surface will work). Then, I stamped the tag down onto my cardstock to transfer the hand image. It's a pretty neat trick and it accomplished exactly what I needed it to.


I continued by stamping my sentiment onto the same white cardstock strip and matted it with a scalloped strip of Winter Wisteria polka dotted paper. I added some stitching and mounted the strip to my card base. Next, I die cut and stamped the other hand from Love Lives Here. I also stamped the heart image and adhered it behind the negative in the hand die. I wanted to convey that the friend reaching out had plenty of love to share with the friend with the empty/sad/missing heart. Maybe I read too much into things. Anyway, I mounted the die cut hand so that it was touching the first hand and embellished the heart with fine glitter.

My second card could be used as a sympathy card, but it could also just be used for someone who is going through a particularly hard time.


I began by stamping and heat embossing the gingko leaves with gold detail powder onto Terra Cotta Tile cardstock. I know I suggested earlier in the countdown that I like to use cool colors for these sorts of cards, but the sentiment on this one seemed to suggest a warm color would be more apropos. Then, I impressed that piece with the Quatrefoil Cover Plate and adhered it to a Rustic White card base. Next, I stamped the Label Basics rectangle onto Rustic White cardstock using Ocean Tides ink.


I stamped my sentiment (which is actually two phrases combined for one message) and heat embossed it with gold detail powder. I wanted to carry over the gingko leaves to the label shape, so I lined up the label and masked it so that the image would only stamp inside the border. I continued by stamping the gingko leaves using Spring Moss ink. I mounted the sentiment panel to the card base with foam tape and embellished the card front with a handful of pearls (side note: I colored the pearls with a Y32 Copic to soften the whiteness just a little).

Thank you for stopping by today! I have a couple of additional projects to share with you tomorrow, so I hope you'll check back. In the meantime, today is a group post day, so Nichole, Ashley, Betsy, Cristina, Danielle, Dawn, Erin, Heather, Laura, and Melissa have projects to share. Tiffany is also sharing a project with her new set. I'll see you tomorrow. Take care!

Recipes:Not Alone Card
Stamps: Words Of Comfort, Faux Ribbon, Love Lives Here, Background Basics: Retro - Papertrey Ink
Cardstock: Aqua Mist, Winter Wisteria Polka Dot Patterned Paper - Papertrey Ink; white
Ink: Aqua Mist, Simply Chartreuse, Fresh Snow, Winter Wisteria - Papertrey Ink; gray pigment - Studio G
Other: Love Lives Here Die Collection, Small Scallops Border Die - Papertrey Ink; Foam Tape - Scotch; Crystal Fine Glitter - Martha Stewart Crafts; White Pearle Cotton - DMC

Difficult Time Card
Stamps: Words Of Comfort, Label Basics, Harvest Berries - Papertrey Ink
Cardstock: Terra Cotta Tile, Rustic White - Papertrey Ink
Ink: Ocean Tides, Spring Moss - Papertrey Ink; VersaMark - Tsukineko
Other: Quatrefoil Cover Plate - Papertrey Ink; Gold Detail Embossing Powder - Filigree; Self-adhesive Pearls - Recollections (large), Mark Richards (small); Foam Tape - Scotch; Y32 Marker - Copic

3 comments:

Cindy O said...

Love your plaid card with the touch of white stitching, and the hands together. I saw the "story" when I first looked at it, so you're not reading to much into it! The terra cotta with gold leaves is beautiful too.

Cindy H. said...

Love both of these cards! Your plaid bg is amazing and I love how you used the hands. Love the colors and design of your second card ...and now I need to order Label Basics :)

BeverlyBL said...

Love that red and gold combo. So rich.