Friday, February 5, 2010

A New Technique

The Papertrey birthday festivities are fully underway and today's announcement (How-To Videos and weekly challenges!) included a challenge to use the emboss resist technique in one's project. I had never tried this particular technique and it was fun to try something new and step outside my comfort zone a little.


I started by stamping tiny Aqua Mist polka dots and Water Lily Green flower clusters onto white cardstock. It's important to remember that anything you eventually want layered on your embossed image has to be stamped first because once that embossing powder is set there's really no stamping on top of it. After my dots and flowers had fully dried (you can speed the process with a heat gun) I stamped the cake with VersaMark and embossed it with clear powder. Next, I sponged Aqua Mist ink over the entire image and matted it to a layer of Aqua Mist cardstock that had been sponged with Water Lily Green ink (I didn't really have anything on hand that was the right color otherwise). I added a die cut cake plate and a few punched flowers embellished with rhinestones before setting the focal image aside for a moment.


Next, I repeatedly stamped an image from Giga Guidelines onto Aqua Mist cardstock using white ink. Once the ink was dry, I stamped the sentiment in silver ink and heat embossed again using clear powder. I mounted that patterned layer to a white base and wrapped the entire card with knotted white ribbon. Finally, I mounted the cake image to the base with foam adhesive.

It's relatively simple, but I had fun trying a new technique. Enjoy the rest of the birthday bash and I'll see you again soon!

Recipe:
Cardstock: Aqua Mist - Papertrey Ink, Silver - Paper Source; White
Stamps: Polka Dot Basics 2, Scattered Showers, Piece of Cake, Giga Guidelines - Papertrey Ink
Ink: Fresh Snow, Aqua Mist - Papertrey Ink; Water Lily Green - Palette; Starlite Silver - Brilliance
Tools: Flower Punch - EK Success; Floral Corner Punch - Fiskars; Cake Plate Die (discontinued)- Quickutz
Other: Rhinestones - Darice; White ribbon - May Arts; Foam tape - Scotch; Clear Embossing Powder

5 comments:

Amy Kolling said...

Very pretty!! I like what you've done with the emboss resist!!

Carmen said...

Beautiful card! Very elegant!

Karen said...

So Cute! Always love Aqua Mist and white. :>

Cheryl said...

Lizzie, I love this card! The colors are beautiful, and it's so peaceful. Great job!

Randi said...

Another winner!