Monday, July 27, 2009

Gallery Idol Round 4: Humor

So here we are. Round 4; the finals. I'm going to avoid melodrama, but I do want to say thank you. Thank you to everyone that stuck in there and voted every week. Thank you to Paper Crafts for giving me this opportunity. Thank you to Sean for listening to my harried brainstorming (especially after this weekend of bad jokes) and for offering your opinion and for not getting crabby when I'd ask you repeatedly if you were sure the cards were good enough. Thanks again, everyone. It means so much. I'm not a big hugger, but I'd hug everyone of you if I could (or at the very least give a fist bump).

This week's theme was difficult for me. Hopefully it translates over the interweb, but if it doesn't...well, blaze of glory and all that. I took a line we say around here from time to time (that I just found out was part of a rap song?!) and added a punchline. I had a creative writing teacher once tell my class to "write what you know." Well, I should just let the card speak for itself...



















First, I want to say I am well aquatinted with chubbyness and therefore feel comfortable making such a joke. Secondly, there is nothing wrong with angel food cake. It just sets itself up as a good punchline. It's like the chess team captain of cake while chocolate is the bad boy musician. Chocolate is sinful. Chocolate is good.


So to make this card I printed my joke onto Aqua Mist cardstock and scored the punchline to the inside. Then, I printed the set up on white cardstock and stamped that with Spring Moss and a background from Background Basics: Retro. I trimmed that down and used the Apron Lace border punch along the bottom edge. I adhered that to the base and wrapped the top with a bit of twill to make it look a bit more finished. A scalloped circle of Spring Moss was adhered atop the twill to highlight the focal image.


The focal image was created by stamping piece of cake onto Kraft cardstock and embellishing it with Liquid Applique. The applique was heat set when wet to get the fluffy appearance. I trimmed around the cake and foam mounted it to a matted piece of white cardstock stamped with a circular burst pattern. That whole piece was adhered to the Spring Moss circle with foam tape. The cake looked a little naked, so I added a candle with a rhinestone flame.

My last step on the front was to add the button bow. Nichole Heady has a fabulous tutorial on these bows on her blog. I used Aqua Mist saddle stitched ribbon and a little hemp twine to create my bow. I'd never done one of these before, but I love how it turned out and I'm sure I'll be doing more of them in the future.

I was all ready to be done until I looked inside and my punchline looked a little lonely. I decided to spruce up the interior with a strip of decorative edge paper I had left over from doing the front of the card. I think it added a little something. I'm happy.

By now, most of you are old pros when it comes to voting. You can go HERE to see everyone's entries and vote for your favorite. Remember: You can only vote once! This is the last round so you are essentially voting for the winner. The voting runs from noon MST today through noon MST on Thursday. The winner will be announced on Friday morning.

Most of my week is dedicated to getting ready for CHA this weekend, but I'll try to stop in and post a few new cards before I head out Friday. Take care and I'll see you soon!

Recipe:
Cardstock: Aqua Mist, Spring Moss, Dark Chocolate, Kraft - Papertrey Ink; Ultimate White - Strathmore
Stamps: Piece Of Cake, Background Basics: Retro - Papertrey Ink; Circles & Dots - Inkadinkado
Stamping Ink: Spring Moss, Aqua Mist - Papertrey Ink; Burnt Umber - Palette
Printer Ink: Pantone 4625 U 80% intensity
Tools: Apron Lace Border Punch - Fiskars; Mega Scalloped Circle Punch (pink)- Marvy, Adobe Illustrator
Font: Chasm Normal (I increased the kearning a little)
Fibers: Aqua Mist Saddle Stitched Ribbon, Dark Chocolate Twill Ribbon - Papertrey Ink; Hemp Twine - Darice
Other: Foam Tape - Scotch; Liquid Applique - Marvy; Rhinestone - Darice; Button - unknown

11 comments:

Heidi said...

Well done Lizzie! I love it! It has beautiful colors, good humor and of course great design! Good Luck!!

Chrissy said...

Lizzie - this is great! I love the color scheme, the cake, everything! And especially the joke - its something me and my hubs say too! Good luck in the contest and enjoy CHA I wish I could go!

Melissa said...

I love your card Lizzie! It looks so elegant, and then you read the joke, hilarious! Very well done, best of luck!!

Joan B said...

this is great!!! love it. so well done and pretty and funny. A+++++

ps. what do you mean "dedicated to getting ready for CHA!?????" I'm doing nothing to get ready. yikes!!

Michelle Nist said...

I think you did very well with the humor category!! I'm that dry humor type too, so I know how hard it can be to translate that. You did it!! :)

Tanja Fussell said...

Voted for you today and found your blog through the contest! Good luck. You're a very talented person.

Meda said...

I love your style. I just came from voting you for Gallery Idol and I really hope you win.

Aimes said...

Lizzie I love it!! Super sense of humour combined with a gorgeous card - it's fab! I'm wishing you loadsa luck! Fingers crossed!
Aimes
x

Maile Belles said...

Love this!!! Well done!

Michelle said...

R O T F L
I cannot believe you are paraphrasing 50 Cent!! Haaaa...this is great! Although he says FAT KID, not chubby ;) This is a great card...love the angel food thing too - ha.... Hope you win - I did actually go and check out the other entries and I think you have here a winner winner chicken dinner!

Randi said...

You done good! I'm so proud of you!! This post brought tears to my eyes and you know that I'm not much of a hugger either! No one can find fault with your honesty and humility. Have a good time in FL. I love that you love my son:-)