Monday, July 6, 2009

Gallery Idol Round 1: Wedding

As I mentioned last week, I am unbelievably fortunate in my selection as a Gallery Idol participant again this year. I'm so glad I decided to take the plunge and submit. I forgot how much fun I had with it last year, but those familiar memories came flooding back with that very first acceptance email. Thank you so much, Paper Crafts Editors, for giving me this opportunity again!

In case you've not heard about the Gallery Idol competition let's fill you in, hmmm? (directly from Paper Crafts website)

Paper Crafts Official Gallery Idol Challenge (June 1 - July 31, 2009)

It's back! Paper Crafts is proud to announce that its hugely popular gallery challenge Gallery Idol is back for season three. Last year after eight fierce weeks of competition, we named Nancy Cienfuegos from Orlando, Florida our season two winner. Now we're ready to induct the next paper crafter extraordinaire! Are you ready to win?

Based on Fox's hit TV show American Idol, our version will have readers submitting themed projects every week in hopes of becoming the grand prize idol winner. And just like our TV counterpart, online viewers will vote each week with only the best contestants with the best submissions moving forward in the competition to the next round.

The best part... the perks! Every time a contestant makes it through to the next round, she/he will each receive a fabulous prize package!

This year for our "Open Auditions" round, 276 members submitted 1,254 birthday cards for 20 coveted spots! It was an agonizing decision, but we're confident we got it right with this batch of 20 gals. Their first challenge is to create a wedding card for round one. Voting will begin at noon on Monday, July 6 and run through noon on Thursday, July 9. Make sure you check back here during these times to see all of the Top 20's wedding cards and to vote on your favorite one.

Let the competition begin!

So my card today is my submission for this round (wedding cards). I wanted to create something that had softness and texture, but also a little bit of a fun and a slightly unexpected quality. I hope that translates in my card.


To begin, I made the textured Hazel (light blue) layer by alternately scoring lines with my Scor-Pal and piercing lines to create a sort of monochromatic argyle pattern. I matted the Hazel with Vintage Cream cardstock and added tiny pearls of iridescent paint to the intersections of the scored lines for a little traditional wedding flair. I set that piece aside while the paint dried. My card went through several variations, but I knew I wanted to use this layer, no matter how my layout came together.

Next, I prepared my Kraft base by stamping tiny polka dots in watermark ink and rounding the bottom corners. Then, I took a strip of Ocean Tides cardstock and used my Notch & Die tool to scallop one edge. I adhered that to the Hazel layer and trimmed off the excess. I then wrapped that entire piece with some vintage lace I inherited from my Great Aunt Gina. I have no idea of the age of this trim or where it came from, but I knew its softness was perfect for the look I was trying to achieve. At that point I knew I wanted a little punch of color, so I added a strip of Melon Berry twill ribbon and a light blue button. I finished the ribbon with a delightful swallow tail snip. That panel was then mounted to the base using foam adhesive.

I wanted to use a sentiment that wasn't super conventional and I loved this phrase from the Scattered Showers set. I stamped the sentiment using Ocean Tides ink onto Vintage Cream cardstock and set it aside until I had covered a scalloped Maya Road frame in Melon Berry cardstock. Once those two pieces were adhered together I mounted them to the Hazel layer and took a deep sigh. I'm really happy with it and I hope you all like it, too.

So here's the deal with the voting. It began at 12:00pm MST today (7/6) and runs until 12:00pm MST on Thursday (7/9). This round's voting decides the Top 15. That announcement will be made on Friday. You can go HERE to vote for your favorite card. All of the ladies did an exceptional job and I, for one, am incredibly impressed with everyone. When you get to the website you will need to log in (or create) with your username and register to vote. It takes just a few quick minutes and I'm sure all of the participants would sincerely appreciate your support. Then you just click on the "Save Vote" button on your favorite card's vote page in order to cast your ballot. Keep in mind: you can only vote once per round. It's a hard decision! There 20 amazing cards and 20 amazing crafters.

Thanks for checking in today! Have a great afternoon and I'll see you tomorrow...

Recipe:
Cardstock: Hazel - Bazzill; Kraft, Melon Berry, Vintage Cream, Ocean Tides - Papertrey Ink
Ink: Ocean Tides - Papertrey Ink; Versamark - Tsukineko
Stamps: Scattered Showers, Polka Dot Basics - Papertrey Ink
Embellishments: Melon Berry Twill - Papertrey Ink; Hemp Cord - Darice; Vintage Lace - unknown; Chipboard Frame - Maya Road; Button - unknown
Tools: Notch & Die Tool - Basic Grey; Medium Corner Rounder - EK Success; Scor-Pal
Other: Foam Tape - Scotch; White Mist Iridescent Paint - Scribbles

3 comments:

Debbie said...

Stunning card :D Its really exciting but nerve wracking isnt it!! :D

Joan B said...

so I go on the website and I swear I immediately knew that this was your card, before I saw your name. Funny thing, I also voted for it! It is gorgeous. the sentiment is perfect and the background is special!

Heather in FL said...

I love, love the pseudo-argyle piece. I may have to borrow that idea because it could fit in so many situations. Really, I love everything about this card. :-) Adorable! Good luck!