Monday, June 8, 2009

Wall Frames Part 3

Today we have the final chapter of my wall frames explanation. I hope you've enjoyed seeing how I put these little lovelies together! If you've missed the past posts you can catch up by reading the studio tour post here, part one of the wall frames here, and part two of the wall frames here.

The first frame for today is the owl frame.


I started by typesetting and printing the quote onto Kraft cardstock. Then I stamped the branch onto the base and an owl onto scrap cardstock. Those were colored using colored pencils and mineral spirits. I cut out the owl with precision scissors and mounted him above the branch with foam tape. The last step was adding a little glaze to the owl's eyes to make them all shiny. Isn't he cute?!

The next frame today is the Earth laughs frame.


I started this one with the pin dot stamp from Polka Dot basics in watermark ink on Spring Moss cardstock. Then I stamped the stems and the quote onto the base. The flowers were stamped onto white cardstock and cut with precision scissors before being mounted to the base with foam adhesive. I wanted the larger flower to stand out so I bedazzled it with a clear rhinestone.

This last one is my very, very favorite of the bunch. It's my dandelion frame.


I began by stamping the stitched background onto my Kraft base using watermark ink. I love this background. It reminds me of my grandpa. It looks like his jammies. I'm sure he would have loved me telling the world he wore stitched jammies. Anyway...after the background, I stamped my dandelion in white ink. The stem on this stamp is actually a lot shorter than it would appear, but I knew I was going to stitch over the stem, so I just placed the stamp where I wanted it to land. The sentiment took me awhile to figure out (layered scalloped circle, unlayered scalloped circle, unlayered regular cirlcle, etc), but I finally settled on making a sort of pierced frame using a couple of my scalloped and regular circle dies and a regular ol' pushpin (no fancy schmancy piercers for me). I glued on the frame first to make sure I would get my placement right for the sentiment. After my sentiment had dried, I backstitched the dandelion stem using dark green embroidery floss and applied glitter and glaze to all the little bitty dots on the dandelion head. The final result is subtly sparkly and has amazing texture.

Well, that's all of them. I hope you've enjoyed getting to see all of these up close. Tomorrow's our first day at the farm for this season, so I may not post until Wednesday. We'll see. Until next time...

Recipe (owl frame):
Cardstock: Kraft - Papertrey Ink
Ink: Burnt Umber - Palette
Stamps: Pretty Birds (Kim Hughes Collection) - Cornish Heritage Farms
Other: Colored Pencils - Prismacolor; Mineral Spirits; Foam Tape - Scotch; Font: Atilla Normal; Glossy Accents - Ranger

Recipe (Earth laughs frame):
Cardstock: Spring Moss - Papertrey Ink; Ultimate White - Strathmore
Ink: Melon Berry, Ripe Avocado - Papertrey Ink; Versamark - Tsukineko
Stamps: Green Thumb, Honey Bees, Polka Dot Basics - Papertrey Ink
Other: Clear Rhinestone - Darice; Foam Tape - Scotch

Recipe (dandelion frame):
Cardstock: Kraft, Dark Chocolate - Papertrey Ink
Ink: Frost White - Colorbox; Versamark - Tsukineko
Stamps: Star Prints, Background Basics Retro - Papertrey Ink; Dandelion - Paper Source
Tools: Nesting Circles; Nesting Flowers - Quickuts; push pin; sewing needle
Fibers: Dark Green Embroidery Floss - DMC
Other: Glitter Pen - Sakura; Glossy Accents - Ranger

1 comment:

Aimes said...

WOW! Yet more frames to wow me with! They really are adorable y'know! I particularly love your last one too (though I love them all!)
Very clever and creative! Wish I had the time (and a spare wall!) to make some myself!
Aimes
x