Friday, August 31, 2018

Design Team Tips: Mini Studio Tour

Good morning, friends! It's my turn to share a tip or two for this week's Papertrey Ink Design Team Tips, so I thought I might do a little something different. We all have so many tools, stamp sets, and accoutrements that it can be hard to know how best to corral our favorites so they are easily accessible and always convenient.

LizzieJones_DTTips_MiniStudioTour

So I figured it might be fun to welcome you into my studio and share the ways I keep a few choice selections close at hand. It's time for a mini studio tour!

LizzieJones_DTTips_MiniStudioTour_Desktop1


I'm keeping today's tour confined to the area immediately adjacent to my workbench, but there's plenty to see, I promise! I work standing at this counter-height bench with a customized Ikea Kallax standing behind me. Let's start at the left side of my workbench and continue clockwise.

LizzieJones_DTTips_MiniStudioTour_DieCutPlates&Templates

Here to my left while I'm working I have three baskets. In the one on the end I keep die cutting plates, metal shims, embossing pads, and pre-cut shapes I use as templates when I'm designing cards.

LizzieJones_DTTips_MiniStudioTour_DieCutTemplates

I also keep die cut templates that I use for some of my favorite stamp sets. I use them in my stamp platform to make sure I have proper placement on my die cuts. Holding on to the templates saves me time and paper.

LizzieJones_DTTips_MiniStudioTour_FavoriteStamps&Series

In the next basket I keep a few of my favorite stamp sets (like the Cover Up: Grid and Background Basics: Super Stripes), the monthly series that we're working with for the current year (like Sentiment Staples and Corner Adorner), and the stamp sets for the current month (I put August away in my big cabinet and I'm hiding September, so this basket looks a little thinner than usual). Storing my favorites and frequently used sets in this basket keeps me from having to go back and forth from my bigger storage which, again, saves me time. More time for stamping!

LizzieJones_DTTips_MiniStudioTour_InkStorage

The third basket, the one nearest to my ink pad storage, holds my Blending Sponge Binder and sponge handles. The ink pad storage is from Organize More and I have two stacked on top of one another. They are nicely made and sturdy so I just have them standing on my workbench. There is a wall to support them on the back side, too, to keep them upright. My Stencil Binder is tucked in next to my ink pad storage.

LizzieJones_DTTips_MiniStudioTour_DesktopOrganizer

To the right of my Stencil Binder I have a mini six cube organizer. Each cube holds something that I use on a regular basis. For example, I have my masking paper and post it notes in one cube, erasers that I use to prime stamps (which I do every time I use them), adhesives and washi for die cutting, etc.

LizzieJones_DTTips_MiniStudioTour_ScratchPaper

This cube may not look all that exciting, but in this little tray is my secret weapon. These A2 sheets of scrap paper are the foundation of every card. Sometimes I just sketch out an idea (to scale since I have the pre-cut paper). Sometimes I stamp directly onto the paper. Sometimes I arrange die cuts to see how everything fits and then take a photo with my phone so I don't forget the layout. One way or another, each card starts with these pieces of paper.

LizzieJones_DTTips_MiniStudioTour_FavoriteDies

On top of that organizer sit three small tins. I bought these at the Target Dollar Spot ages ago, so I don't know if they still have anything similar, but I love them. The one on the left is for my favorite and most frequently used dies. Some of these are basics that can be used with any stamp set (like my Pierced Feature Frames or select Mix & Mat dies) while others are the coordinating dies that go with a favorite stamp set (like the Botanical Bounty dies). And yet others may coordinate with a stamp set, but I use them independently because they don't require the stamps to make sense (like the Direct Messages Banner Die or the Banner Style Die).

The middle tin is for the current month's dies and the dies that coordinate with a series (like the Words To Live By dies). I still organize my dies in hanging CD sleeves like I showed HERE, but the company has since discontinued those fabric boxes, and I am packed to the gills! So I'm working on a new, very similar solution that I will share when I finally finish it. The color coding concept won't change, but the sleeves probably will.

LizzieJones_DTTips_MiniStudioTour_Embossing&PigmentPowders

The third tin holds my embossing and pigment powders. I don't have many (this is all of them), but I also don't emboss as much as some of you so this works just fine for me. I like having them close at hand though because if I have to go searching I know I'll talk myself out of embossing. I'm sort of a lazy crafter.

LizzieJones_DTTips_MiniStudioTour_ToolCarousel

Rounding my desktop corner you see my tool carousel. This is actually a Pampered Chef utensil caddy that we received as a wedding gift nearly 15 years ago. It had outlived its usefulness in our kitchen, so I repurposed it here in my studio. It holds all of the essentials so I never have to go in search of anything. I have all of the pens, paint brushes, scissors, glue pens, Xactos, and scoring tools I could ever want right here at my fingertips. Repurposing something you already own is a great way to save money that you could use on a new tool or stamps, am I right?!

LizzieJones_DTTips_MiniStudioTour_Blocks&Cleaning

Another repurposed item from my craft show days is this dessert stand that I used to use to display stationery at shows. I keep all of my blocks on the bottom (despite the popularity of stamping platforms I still love blocks and use them every time I stamp) and my wipes and cleaning solution are there on the top. Having these things right here makes it easy for me to clean my stamps more quickly which helps reduce really stubborn ink stains (I'm looking at you, Scarlet Jewel).

LizzieJones_DTTips_MiniStudioTour_HangingTools

Let's take a quick peek under my desk for a moment. I have one of the ubiquitous Raskog carts from Ikea that I use for extras (like packs of unopened blending sponges) and coloring mediums (watercolors and colored pencils). But I also use S-hooks to hang some other tools that I don't want to have to dig around for should the need arise. My Corner Chomper and Crop-A-Dile come to mind. I have a second ATG handing down here too, but the one I use most often sits on the window sill. This is a back up in case that one ever breaks for good.

LizzieJones_DTTips_MiniStudioTour_HangingRulers

My rulers also hang down here. I have a paper trimmer, but I'm just as likely to use a metal ruler and xacto to cut a card base as I am to walk across the room to the trimmer. It's a big room. And I mentioned that I'm lazy, right?

LizzieJones_DTTips_MiniStudioTour_Tools

Ok, next up is my paper storage, but let's talk about what lives on top first. There are a handful of tools that I reach for regularly that I want to have within easy reach, but are larger or too cumbersome to keep on my work surface at all times. Those items live here. Namely, my Xyron, Scor-Pal, stamp platforms, and the sorter that I use for my unfiled cards.

LizzieJones_DTTips_MiniStudioTour_UnfiledCards

By sorter, I mean "pot lid rack," but who's counting? This is where finished cards live until I can find the time to mail them or put them into categorized boxes. It keeps them relatively safe and they're easy to find.

LizzieJones_DTTips_MiniStudioTour_PaperStorage

Now the paper storage. This is a basic Kallax from Ikea that I customized with a lot of drilling and a large bag of shelf pins. The shelves themselves are all 3/16" hardboard that I sweet talked my dad into cutting for me. If you choose to do something like this for yourself, I highly suggest getting an actual cabinet shop, sawmill, or trusted individual to cut them to size for you. Home Depot will do it for a price, but I've had inconsistent results with their finish work. Forewarned is forearmed, friends.

LizzieJones_DTTips_MiniStudioTour_FoamTape&HeatTool

At the end of that shelf stands a lamp with my beloved foam tape hanging from the switch (that cord looped through the center is my heat tool). I've been tying and retying the same piece of ribbon to hang my foam tape for several years. It's a great way to use some of that cheapo ribbon you may have purchased in the $1 bin at Michaels because it was a great deal even though it doesn't match anything and isn't even all that pretty. Not that I would do such a thing...ahem. This isn't much to look at, but it's very nice to have them so close. And there we are, back at the beginning!

LizzieJones_DTTips_MiniStudioTour_StudioAssistant

But of course, no studio tour (no matter how mini) would be complete without a peek at my handsome assistant. Always ready to lend a hand paw. There are actually two cat towers in this room, so there are plenty of comfy spaces for my fellas to lounge. Louie just seems to need all the attention he can get lately.

Like I said, this is just the area adjacent to my workbench so I didn't show the full extent of my stamp or die storage. The room is a pretty good size (you've seen maybe 1/4 of it) and it would be a huge time waster if I had to run around to all corners of the space every time I needed something. Having the essentials tucked in around my work surface helps me stay more efficient and focused - and I need all the help I can get! Thank you so much for joining me today. I hope you've picked up some tips and enjoyed this little peek into my studio. Have a wonderful weekend and I'll see you again soon!

26 comments:

Shirley A. said...

Thanks so much for sharing your craft space. It is so fun to see we all use our spaces.

Isabel Z said...

I loved seeing how you utilize every inch of this one area in your room so that you can have the essentials at your fingertips. Thank you for taking the time to share. I picked up a few tips that I will incorporate when I design my new crafting area--moving from a shared tiny office in our home to my son's bedroom since he moved out. Hard to believe that he is all grown up and though I miss having him home, I will enjoy having a large stamping space. I'm curious about the pad thing on your desk top. If you have the time, will you explain what it is? Thank you.

Cindy H. said...

Love your studio, Lizzie, it's so neat and clean and well organized. Thank you for sharing it with us. I have the same filing system for the dies and, like you, I'm overflowing and looking for a new setup, too. I'll be interested in what you may find to replace or augment what you have. For now, I've made little open envelopes (with a tab to write the name) out of colored cover stock from my local business store. I'll be adopting your system of hanging your foam tape - great idea! I have a very small space so every inch counts.

Luanne said...

I love my Pampered Chef tool organizer! Ha, never knew it was made for the kitchen! 🤪

Unknown said...

How did MY cat get into your craft room?😲

Lizzie Jones said...

I have two self-healing cutting mats on my desktop, one big one and one that's smaller. I can cut directly on the surface and ink and paint wipe up fairly easily too. I hope that helps!

Mary W said...

Great tour - so far, ahem, so far. We want more!!!!!! Question: I didn't quite understand how you were using the die cut panels for placement of stamps. Is there anyway a short little video would do the trick? I can not resist repurposing things. It keeps my imagination in shape and allows my creativity to come out and play. Plus the wallet is bare bones due to this crazy hobby, anyway. Great post!

Isabel Z said...

Thank you, Lizzie, for answering my question about the mats on your desktop. I've been considering the new Tim Holtz glass work mat but I'm going to explore the self-healing mats at my local craft store to see what's available. I'll have to do some research to see what the pros and cons of each one are to figure out what will work for me.

Greta said...

Loved the mini tour & all your tips, Lizzie! Gotta say, Louie stole the show, though!

Lisa Petrella said...

What a gorgeous space!! And so well-organized! Thanks for sharing this with us, Lizzie!!!

dobbs200@gmail.com said...

Thank you, Lizzie, for your generosity in sharing your studio with us. You’ve given me some really great ideas!

Stephanie Clapper said...

Hi Lizzie! You've always struck me as a well organized artist & I've used some of your tips like the blending sponge & stencil books-they are a great systems!! My crafting room is small on purpose and like you, I keep my everyday supplies close at hand. I love your ink storage, & I'm seriously giving that some thought. Anyway, thanks SO MUCH for sharing your room and many great ideas! Louie is a cutie!

Doris said...

Thanks for the tour. My stamping room is set up very similar to yours--great minds do think alike lol! My tuxedo cat looks just like yours, but she can't make it up the stairs any more at 14 years old. I even had a "thunder box" under the table for her, but she stays downstairs in my nusband's office now. You've inspired me to do another tour of my "tower!"

Lizzie T a/k/a Wifelady said...

Your studio space is awesome - I dream of a bigger space that I can share with my cat! Your Louie is adorable!!!!

Feleuk Feline Family said...

LOL!!! I bought TWO of those pampered chef tool thingys just for my craft room years ago! Love them. I have bookmarked the Organize More site and will be getting some of that stuff soon I think! I am not NEARLY as neat but we all work in a way we are comfortable, right? And like others have said, HOW did MY cat get in YOUR craft room! LOL!!!!Louie looks so much like my Getty! Tuxies are awesome! Thanks for the tour! I hope to improve my space just a little bit more now!

TLady said...

Lizzie, I too use my Pampered Chef Tool Turn About! LOL I replaced it in the kitchen when I found a NICE Amish Woman who would make baskets to size..... So, my Tool Turn About is on my desk too! AND let me see, there were some other things that I do too, that you do. It DOES HELP to have things CLOSE AT HAND!!! I craft in the corner of my bedroom.... not much space, but one day I do believe the kids will graduate from their rooms to their own places! LOL THANKS FOR THE TOUR LIZZIE!!!! ;) (I also have some kitties that like to hang around while I craft!) ;)

lindagrady said...

Wondered if you could explain how your stencil binder is set up. Got some neat ideas on your having things nearby. Especially like the mounted tape hanging on the lamp pole.

Lizzie Jones said...

I actually linked to a post about my Stencil Binderthat I shared a few months ago. If you click on the phrase "stencil binder" you'll be able to read all about it. I hope that helps!

see mary stamp said...

I always love to see how crafters organize their space. There are always good tips to pick up, plus it's just fun to see where the magic happens. Thanks for sharing.

merryf said...

thanks so much for the tour of your craft room. I definitely need some mini baskets for my cutting plates. Having them on the floor probably isn't a good idea in the long run....

Susan Watanabe said...

Thank you for sharing your studio and your organizational skills, Lizzie! I am always looking for new ideas on how to store my ever growing stamping stash. One of the best things I ever invested in is the stamp pad organizer by Stamp N' Storage. I have the unit right in from of me (the dining room is now my studio, has good natural lighting). I need to buy another one to hold all my Distress Oxide Ink pads I've accumulated. The unit also works as great wall against my cats (one in particular, a ginger cat named Raja). HAHAHA! :)

Raquel SK said...

This is a great tour! I find that my small space is overrun with all the tools (Cricut, Cameo, Die Cutter, Printer, etc.) This becomes cumbersome as the machines are bigger each time! My other challenge is lighting. My OTT light isn't enough, and I dream of a well-lit space. Even so, I make the most of it, and feel fortunate to have so many fun tools to work with. Thank you for sharing so many awesome tips. I also have the same metal tins and really like them. I believe Target is now carrying some very similar to them.

Unknown said...

Awesome tour, the way you have this set up makes perfect sense! I will be setting up a craft studio within the year, I need all the help I can get! Currently in a teeny tiny space, so I'm looking forward to the "expansion" and want to do it just right.

paperkicks said...

I didn’t login before I posted... just wanted to let you know that I am the one who commented! 🤗🤪🙌🏻

Kari D said...

Thank you so much for the tour of one corner of your space. Love how you have filled each nook and crannie with the key tools you need to make your incredible cards!

Paula Touhey said...

Thanks for a great tour. I love your ideas and especially the mini cube storage unit. I have so much on my desk it's great to see how other's organize. Your card designs and projects are awesome. Thanks for the inspiration.