Sunday, June 12, 2016

A Need For Speed

Good morning, friends! Today is the first group post in the June Papertrey Ink countdown and, boy, are you in for a treat! I don't know about you, but it seems like the fellas in my life all have a soft spot for anything with a V8. The products we're featuring today from Erin and Nichole are sure to rev their engines! I've even created projects for both little guys and more mature gentlemen with these wonderful stamps and dies! Let's take a peek.

My first project is a Father's Day card for my papa-in-law. This is a man who appreciates a fine automobile (he drives a canary yellow Corvette), so I knew these stamps would be right up his alley (no pun intended).

Classic Dad Card

I began by stamping and die cutting the sports car from Need For Speed. I used Terra Cotta Tile and Canyon Clay for the body. I used second generation Aqua Mist for the windows. It gives them a nice, pale blue tint that isn't too overwhelming. The bumpers are stamped in Stormy Sea and then stamped a second time with VersaMark so I could add a Perfect Pearl finish to make them more chrome-y. The tires are Smokey Shadow. I set that aside while I built the rest of the card base.

Classic Dad Sentiment

I began by repeatedly stamping the Route sign from Road Signed onto a piece of Aqua Mist cardstock using the coordinating ink. I went back and added the route numbers with Road Signed Numbers. I chose state routes that have family significance to give the background a personalized feel. Next, I used the Movers & Shakers: Spinners die collection to cut a channel in the patterned panel. I also die cut a roadbed strip from Smokey Shadow cardstock using the new On The Road Die. I sponged the edges with the coordinating ink to give a bit of depth and die cut another channel with the Spinners die collection, reserving the die cut piece. I adhered the roadbed to the patterned strip and then adhered the whole piece to a white card base with foam tape.

Classic Dad Pull Tab Close Up

Next, I stamped the sentiment from Need For Speed directly onto the white card base through the channel in the patterned piece. I then created a slider for the car to "ride" on using the reserved roadbed piece and an extra piece cut from white cardstock. I stamped the "pull here" arrow from Movers & Shakers Sentiments onto the white piece using Terra Cotta Tile ink. I adhered all of the slider bits together and tucked them into the channel, adding the car on top with foam tape.

Classic Dad Car Close Up

Then, I die cut a Sketched Shapes banner and a Text Block: Dad shape. I trimmed the "Dad" from the Text Block and adhered it to the banner. Finally, I added the banner to the card with foam tape and called it a day. I think he's going to love it!

Next up, I'm sharing a baby rattle I made with Erin's new Stitched Car Die.

Felt Car Rattle

Every little boy I've ever known has loved cars and I thought this new shape would make a fabulous toy for a small fella. My trainer at the gym, Rachael, has a six month old son and this will make a nice gift for him. I cut the car parts from Tropical Teal, Aqua Mist, Smokey Shadow, True Black, Harvest Gold, Vintage Cream, and Pure Poppy felts.

Felt Car Rattle With Rattle Insert

I stitched it together using the video Erin put together, but instead of just using polyfil, I also tucked in two of these rattle inserts (I found them online - just google "rattle insert" for tons of options). I made sure to protect them with plenty of stuffing, so the rattle is still plenty soft enough and safe for kiddos. They're also great for pet toys. Gus has been trying to steal the rattle for three days.

Road Signs Gift Tote

I wanted to dress up my gift a smidge, so I created this coordinating gift tote to go along with it. I began by stamping several of the images from the Road Signed set repeatedly onto Harvest Gold cardstock using Bright Buttercup ink. Next, I die cut that patterned cardstock using the Fry Box die. I cut mini handles using the small rectangle in the Summer Camp die collection and assembled the box as normal. I filled the tote with custom tissue paper that I stamped with the tread image from Need For Speed.

Gift Tote Tag Close Up

I also tied on a Keep It Simple Frames tag that I stamped with a sentiment from the new Keep It Simple: To:/From: set. I love that there are several fonts in the set, so you can choose the perfect option for any style of tag.

Well, that's all for me today, friends. I'll see you back here again tomorrow for another group post. In the meantime, make sure to check in with Nichole, Amy, Ashley, Betsy, Danielle, Dawn, Heather, Kay, Laurie, and Melissa for more inspiration. Erin and Maile are also sharing more of their new designs, so make sure to visit them, too! Have fun hopping around!

Recipes:
Classic Dad Card
Stamps: Need For Speed, Road Signed, Road Signed Numbers, Movers & Shakers Sentiments - Papertrey Ink
Cardstock: Aqua Mist, Smokey Shadow, Terra Cotta Tile, Harvest Gold - Papertrey Ink; white
Ink: Terra Cotta Tile, Canyon Clay, Aqua Mist, Stormy Sea, Smokey Shadow - Papertrey Ink; VersaMark - Tsukineko
Other: On The Road Die, Need For Speed Die, Sketched Shapes Die, Text Block: Dad Die, Movers & Shakers: Spinner Die - Papertrey Ink; Foam Tape - Scotch; Pearl Perfect Pearls - Ranger

Felt Car Rattle
Felt: Tropical Teal, Aqua Mist, Smokey Shadow, True Black, Harvest Gold, Pure Poppy, Vintage Cream - Papertrey Ink
Dies: Stitched Car Die Collection - Papertrey Ink
Other: Embroidery Floss - DMC; Polyfil; Rattle Inserts

Road Signs Gift Tote
Stamps: Road Signed, Road Signed Numbers, Need For Speed, Keep It Simple: To:/From: - Papertrey Ink
Cardstock: Harvest Gold - Papertrey Ink; white
Ink: Bright Buttercup, Aqua Mist, Tropical Teal - Papertrey Ink
Other: Fry Box Die, Keep It Simple Frames Die - Papertrey Ink; Cherry Baker's Twine - Divine Twine; Tissue Paper

13 comments:

jan metcalf said...

Another clever idea with the rattle!

nancy said...

While I don't have a need for these car/road items, I do like how you used them, Lizzie. You are always so thoughtful with your projects, and today's Father's Day card ranks right up there with the best of them.

Connie said...

Love this! So clever and cute!!

Cindy H. said...

What an awesome card!! Your papa-in-law will absolutely love it, I'm sure. The rattle is just too cute and such a wonderful idea for a little guy.

Diana K said...

Love that you never take the easy road. You always have your thinking cap on :) Awesome card for your father-in-law, Lizzie!

Nancy Penir said...

Wonderful card! Love the road and the car 'driving' it! Wonderful projects too!

Kathy Mc said...

Lizzie, your interactive Dad's card is so cleverly done. Very neat gift idea with your truck rattle so perfectly wrapped up. Awesome projects!

Leslie S. said...

Love your projects so much! You have included so many wonderful and creative details - an inter-active card and baby rattle - genius!!

Linda said...

Such clever and beautifully executed projects. Love that rattle!

Unknown said...

Wonderful projects. The card is so cool.

María Alba Negrón said...

Hi Lizzie,

Lovely ideas, well executed!

Cariños,
María Alba

Holly Saveur said...

OH mY what a great card!!!

Unknown said...

The felt car rattle is toooo cute!