Sunday, July 13, 2014

These United States & State Abbreviations - Day 4

Good morning, everyone, and welcome back to Day 4 of the Papertrey Ink July countdown! I'm so glad you're joining me again today for a few more peeks at These United States and State Abbreviations. Nichole and the team are also sharing inspiration with this set today as part of the "Wish You Were Here" group post. There's a lot to see, so let's get going!

My first project to share is a little trio of simple embossed cards that really make the state dies the focus.


I began each card by embossing the front panel with impression plates using the impression plate tricks that Erin shared in this Make It Monday video. Then, I stamped the sentiments with gray pigment ink and added the states. For the Hawaii card I Xyroned a small piece of Aqua Mist cardstock and die cut it with the state die. I used the oval negative as a guide to help me place the islands. I embellished them with a sparkly coating of glitter.


For the Idaho card I die cut the state from Simply Chartreuse cardstock and clear heat embossed it with one of the small background blocks from Background Basics: Medallions.


The Nebraska card was similar to the Idaho card. I used the gingham block from Bitty Background Blocks to give the state shape a pattern.


These cards went together super quickly, but they still have a professional finish thanks to the impression plate technique and the nice edge on the die cut states.

My next two project would be the perfect card to give a traveller right before they head off on another adventure.


I began by die cutting and stamping several state shapes before arranging them on a Spring Moss card front. Then, I lightly traced around them and used the outlines as a guide for my arrows. Once finished, I adhered my card front to a white base, erased my pencil lines, and mounted my states with foam tape.


I continued by die cutting the layering banner from the Notched Star Banner Die Collection twice, once from Enchanted Evening and once from white. I trimmed the sides off of the white die cut and stamped it with the sentiment from These United States. Then, I layered the two die cuts and adhered them to the card front.

This next card would be ideal for someone you care about that is very far away.


I began by die cutting a Half & Half shape and stamping it with the sentiment from These United States. I embellished it with the dashed heart line image in Berry Sorbet. The line was just a smidge too short, so I used the dashed arrow line to extend it a little on each side. Next, I die cut the states from my sentiment strip. I stamped polka dots and the hearts in the negative space and embellished the strip with pewter brads.


Next, I cut a Christmas Label Die shape, sliced it in half, and heat embossed it with the rays from Hello Sunshine. I tucked the halves under the sentiment strip before adhering everything to my Classic Kraft card base. This sentiment would be perfect for Operation Write Home cards!

My final card today uses the same layout as the Tolkien quote card. It's a great basic layout to have in your back pocket for those need-a-card-quickly moments.


I began by die cutting a whole slew of states from white cardstock. Then, I went about arranging them in a puzzle formation onto a Soft Stone card base. I adhered them with flat adhesive, save the Ohio shape that I had stamped with the large heart. That one was added with foam tape. Next, I die cut one of the label shapes from Fabulous Frames and heat embossed it with the sentiment from These United States. I adhered it to my card front with foam adhesive. I tied a baker's twine bow around the card and embellished the heart with glitter for some final touches. It's a fairly simple card, but that really helps to drive home the message.

Well, that's all for me today. Thank you so much for joining me and I hope to see you again tomorrow for one more day of projects featuring These United States and the Text Block: Thankful die. In the meantime, NicholeAshelyBetsyDanielleDawnErinHeatherLauraLaurieMaileMelissa Phillips, and Melissa Bickford all have additional inspiration for you to enjoy. Take care and I'll see you tomorrow!

Recipes:
Embossed Card Trio
Stamps: These United States (available July 15th), Bitty Background Blocks, Background Basics: Medallion - Papertrey Ink
Cardstock: Simply Chartreuse, Aqua Mist, Enchanted Evening - Papertrey Ink; white
Ink: Berry Sorbet, Pure Poppy - Papertrey Ink; gray pigment - Studio G
Other: Hawaii Die (available July 15th), Nebraska/Missouri/Kansas Die (available July 15th), Idaho/Montana/Wyoming Die (available July 15th), Woodgrain Impression Plate, Rustic Burlap Impression Plate, Star Spangled Impression Plate, First Place Die Collection, Fillable Frames #7 Die, Fillable Frames #8 Die - Papertrey Ink; Feldspar Glitter - Martha Stewart Crafts; Foam Tape - Scotch; Xyron

Tolkien Quote Card
Stamps: These United States, State Abbreviations - Papertrey Ink
Cardstock: Spring Moss, Enchanted Evening - Papertrey Ink; white
Ink: Enchanted Evening, Spring Moss - Papertrey Ink
Other: Louisiana/Arkansas Die (available July 15th), Connecticut/Massachusetts/Rhode Island Die (available July 15th), Vermont/New Hampshire/Maine Die (available July 15th), Michigan/Wisconsin Die (available July 15th), Minnesota/North Dakota/South Dakota Die (available July 15th), Notched Star Banner Die Collection - Papertrey Ink

Distance Is A Test Card
Stamps: These United States (available July 15th), Bitty Background Blocks, Hello Sunshine - Papertrey Ink
Cardstock: Classic Kraft, Berry Sorbet - Papertrey Ink; white
Ink: Berry Sorbet, Smokey Shadow, Classic Kraft - Papertrey Ink; VersaMark - Tsukineko
Other: New Mexico/Arizona Die (available July 15th), Georgia/North Carolina/South Carolina Die, Half & Half Die Collection, Christmas Label Die - Papertrey Ink; Pewter Brads - Making Memories; Foam Tape - Scotch; Clear Detail Embossing Powder - Filigree

Home Is Ohio Card
Stamps: These United States (available July 15th) - Papertrey Ink
Cardstock: Soft Stone, Pure Poppy - Papertrey Ink; white
Ink: Pure Poppy - Papertrey Ink; VersaMark - Tsukineko
Other: Nebraska/Missouri/Kansas Die (available July 15th), Idaho/Montana/Wyoming Die (available July 15th), Louisiana/Arkansas Die (available July 15th), Connecticut/Massachusetts/Rhode Island Die (available July 15th), Vermont/New Hampshire/Maine Die (available July 15th), Michigan/Wisconsin Die (available July 15th), New York/New Jersey Die (available July 15th), New Mexico/Arizona Die (available July 15th), Georgia/North Carolina/South Carolina Die (available July 15th), West Virginia/Virginia/Maryland Die (available July 15th), Indiana/Kentucky/Tennessee Die (available July 15th), Oregon/Washington Die (available July 15th), Iowa/Illinois Die (available July 15th), Ohio/Pennsylvania/Delaware Die (available July 15th), Minnesota/North Dakota/South Dakota Die (available July 15th), Fabulous Frames Die Collection - Papertrey Ink; White Detail Embossing Powder - Filigree; Garnet Glitter - Martha Stewart Crafts; Foam Tape - Scotch; Teal Baker's Twine - Divine Twine

14 comments:

jintyoo7 said...

Brilliant cards, Lizzie :)

Cindy O said...

Such a wonderful U.S. die set! You put a lot of thought and care into the states. Wow, thank you! Love your samples today, especially the single-state cards.

Parker said...

I like the sweet and simple trio focusing on the state. Good job.

Kathy Mc said...

Awesome, Lizzie! The Hello Sunshine rays make the perfect background on the Christmas label. Very clever use of your new stamps & dies!

Sean said...

Love the blue with SPRING MOSS!

Kathy Krug said...

Fabulous inspiration on using the USA set. Love the embossing technique with the states.

DonelleU said...

Lizzie, these might be my favorite cards you've ever made! Love, love, love them!!! Can't wait to get my US stamps and dies!

Grace said...

Amazing. Love the cards

Kathie B said...

I really like your use of state shapes in these cards. You prove that they are far more versatile than one might first think. These are a real inspiration for other possibilities. Thank you!

Anonymous said...

clean, simple and creative!

Anonymous said...

clean, simple and creative!

Anonymous said...

clean, simple and creative!

Unknown said...

These are soooo coool as many of us have family and friends through out the USA!

basketjld said...

Wonderful cards, are you Pinterest so I can follow you there also? Thank you.