Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Birthday Flip Flops

Hello, All! Long time no see. It's been a madhouse around here for the last few weeks. I finished up my last craft show until fall and then my sister got married this past Saturday. I was on nephew duty for the days leading up to the wedding. It was a lot of fun, but I learned the hard way that your time becomes much less efficient when there's a little person to manage. Let's just say that the cats and I are enjoying our quiet time this week (the cats in particular).


Anyhow, I made this card recently and thought it might be fun to share. I've had this flip flop set for awhile, but just had a chance to pull it out and give it a spin. I started by die cutting and stamping my sandals. Then, I die cut circles of Fine Linen cardstock and ran them through my Xyron machine "good" side down. I burnished them really well before peeling them off the white backing paper to ensure total coverage.


I adhered one of my flip flops and positioned the foam tape for the other one onto the sticky surface. Important tip: leave the exposed backing paper for your foam tape in place until after the next step! Next, I took actual sand (found in the floral department of a major craft store) and smushed it all up in the adhesive. I pressed firmly to make sure that the sand was good and secure. Then, and only then, I removed the foam tape backing paper and adhered my second sandal in place.


That circle was mounted with foam tape to an Aqua Mist mat stack shape that had been stamped and heat embossed with my sentiment. The whole focal point was then mounted to a polka dotty card base that had been embellished with ribbon and a crochet thread bow. Just a sweet little summer birthday card. I love the realistic texture from the sand!

Thank you for stopping by today. Enjoy the rest of your week!

Recipe:
Stamps: Flipping Out, Mini Blooms, Polka Dot Basics, Background Basics: Retro - Papertrey Ink
Cardstock: Aqua Mist, Fine Linen - Papertrey Ink; white
Ink: Lemon Tart, Aqua Mist, Berry Sorbet - Papertrey Ink; VersaMark - Tsukineko
Other: Lemon Tart Saddle Stitched Ribbon, Flipping Out Die Collection - Papertrey Ink; white cotton crochet thread; Foam Tape - Scotch; Circle Die - Quickutz; White detail embossing powder - Filigree; sand

1 comment:

Kathy Mc said...

Real sand, Lizzie ~ this is delightful. What a fun card for summer! Great color choices, and the mat stack creates the ideal background for your flip flops. Very cool!