Friday, November 9, 2012

A Christmas Bird

Hello, Blogland! So the other night I was a bit tense while listening to the election results roll in. In order to calm myself I decided to do a little coloring. I thought it might be nice to put together a card and share it with you today.


I colored the bird using a handful of Copic markers (I can look up the numbers if anyone's interested - just say the word) and then glittered him with a Sakura Stardust pen (I used Heather Nichols's "outline-it-and-then-smudge-it-with-your-finger" technique). His little hat is also embellished with a smidge of flocking on the trim and pom-pom. He sat around for a couple of days until I got it together and actually made the card.


I started by trimming two panels of Spring Rain cardstock and stamping them with different patterns. Here's my rule on things like this (totally my own rule and not a serious design principle): straight lines like round things. By that I mean, I don't like to use two linear patterns together or two polka dotty patterns together unless they are of vastly different scales. For example, I wouldn't use the lined pattern along with a gridded pattern on the other side. They're too similar and they compete for your attention. Clear as mud? Great.

I stamped my sentiment and adhered those panels to a white base. Next, I wrapped the whole front of the card with Pure Poppy ribbon and a string bow. Then I matted my little bird with a pinked Ripe Avocado oval and mounted him to the front of the card with foam tape. Nice and flat and easy to mail. But with a little bit of sparkle, of course.

Well, that's all for  me today. Thank you for stopping by for a peek! I'm going to visit my dad this weekend to help him prepare his bushels and bushels of pears for wine. I probably won't be back until early next week, but it won't be too long. Enjoy your weekend and see you again soon!

Recipe:
Stamps: Polka Dot Basics, Tremendous Treats: Christmas, Background Basics: Retro, Snowflake Flurries - Papertrey Ink
Cardstock: Spring Rain, Ripe Avocado - Papertrey Ink; white
Ink: Pure Poppy - Papertrey Ink; Tuxedo Black - Memento
Other: Pure Poppy Saddle Stitched Ribbon, Limitless Layers Oval 2 1/4" Dies - Papertrey Ink; Markers - Copic; White Perle Cotton - DMC; Glitter Pen - Sakura; White Fun Flock - Stampendous; glue pen; foam tape