Monday, March 5, 2012

A Whale of a Card

Hello, Blogland! I'm still going strong on my New Year's goal (not resolution, but goal) of at least one blog post a week (success with the clean studio goal has been a little spotty). This week brings us another baby card that I made and sent to my Mother-In-Law last week.


I loved this little whale from the moment he was released, but up until this card he had been, sadly, unused. I started by stamping the Spring Rain panel with the stitched grid background and then I die cut the circle, using my stamped lines as a guide. Handy trick. Anyway, that was then textured with the Canvas impression plate and adhered to a white base.

Next, I stamped and then hand-cut (because I'm a cheapskate and I don't have the matching die) the whale and set him aside momentarily. Then I worked on my banner (using Nichole Heady's paper banner technique). I stamped the Soft Stone with the tiny harlequin/argyle background using watermark ink, so the pattern is there, but it's very subtle. The sentiment is from the whale set, too.

I adhered the banner to my card and stamped the little heart trio before mounting my whale using foam adhesive. I finished the card by adding two red nail head embellishments to the ends of the banner. That achieved two design-y type things in one shot: I fulfilled my "rules of three" objective by using the most vibrant color on the card three times and I used them in a visual triangle around my whale which draws the eye in toward the focal image. Yay for design tips!

Also, if you're interested in learning a little bit about me through an interview with Joan B (of Paperlicious fame) head over to her blog HERE. She asked some great questions and I tried not to sound like a total doofus while answering. Even if you don't give a lick about me you should visit Joan's blog. She's totally awesome and her Dear Paperlicious posts always make me laugh.

Thank you for stopping in today! Have a great week and I'll see you again soon!

Recipe:
Stamps: Whale Wishes, A Little Argyle, Background Basics: Retro - Papertrey Ink
Cardstock: Spring Rain, Soft Stone - Papertrey Ink; white
Ink: Enchanted Evening, Pure Poppy - Papertrey Ink; Versamark - Tsukineko
Other: Canvas Impression Plate - Papertrey Ink; Circle Die - Quickutz; red nail heads - Mark Richards; Foam Adhesive - Scotch

4 comments:

Randi said...

It will be tough to decide which card to give to which new parent:-)

gardener said...

Very nice card. I would not have thought to use a whale for a baby card, but it really works. You mentioned design tips and shared the use of several. Is there a website for these and other design tips or are they yours? Thx

Melissa said...

So cute!! I love the texture on the background and the fun banner!

Your new sets look so lovely, Lizzie! My dad will be so thrilled with golf cards from me, and that wrought iron background is gorgeous!!

jan metcalf said...

Cute card! Love the way you angled the banner!